By Daniela Pesconi-Arthur
In my last article I mentioned an activity I used with my students and some photos they had taken of when they saw the Queen. Today I’m going to explain how you can do it too. You– and your students – are going to love it! Discussing pictures, videos and other documents will never be the same again, and your students will love to “show off” to parents and friends! It’s not complicated at all! Let’s go step by step.
- What is “VoiceThread”?
“A VoiceThread is a collaborative, multimedia slide show that holds images, documents, and videos and allows people to navigate slides and leave comments in 5 ways – using voice (with a mic or telephone), text, audio file, or video (via a webcam). You can share a VoiceThread with friends, students, and colleagues for them to record comments too.”
- Where do I find VoiceThread?
You can find it here.
- What do I do, exactly?
First of all, you need to register. It’s free, and you there’s no software to install. When you’ve followed all the steps to register and have signed in, just follow these steps:
- Click on “Create”.
- Click on “upload” – that’s when you choose anything you want your students to discuss (an image, a video or a document).
- If it’s already on your computer, you just need to find it and click on it. You can download as many pictures as you want.
- Then, the next step is to leave a comment. So, click on “comment”.
- The picture/pictures will appear, one by one, and you click on the comment box, right below the picture. It will open another little box and you will have five different options to leave a comment: phone, webcam, microphone, text or upload a video comment.
- When you’ve finished with the comments, you click on “menu” and you have the options: edit, share or embed. What you choose depends on whether you want to post your slideshow, send the link to someone, or share it on Facebook. If you click on “share”, it will give you all the options. If you just want to post it on a blog entry, “embed” is the best one. You just copy the “embed” code and post it on your post entry.
Now you have a brilliant tool to use with your students and they will love it! I promise you. Another thing you can do is set it as a task from the beginning of the course. The students can then create their own slideshows with VoiceThread, using pictures taken during their course, ask their friends and you to comment, and at the end they will take home lovely memories of new friendships and everything they’ve seen and done, to show to their friends and family back home!
See you next time!
3987 total views